-
May 15th, 2006, 07:01 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I am trying to make a family for my and my sister's dolls but the American girl dolls are too expensive. Do you know any dolls that are nice to but cheaper? And can you find any that are more adult looking?
-
May 15th, 2006, 07:06 PM
#2
Inactive Member
The Gotz dolls are just like American Girl dolls. In fact they manufactured them at the same factory in 1986
-
May 15th, 2006, 07:09 PM
#3
Inactive Member
And are the Laura Ashley dolls worth buying?
-
May 15th, 2006, 07:13 PM
#4
Inactive Member
The Madame Alexander doll company did a series of dolls called Dear America, from the book series of the same name. I believe there are four dolls in all but the only surnames I can remember are Brady, Whipple and Stewart. There's also a modern Alexander doll, I think named Kelly. Each has the same face mold but different hair and a different costume. Both the clothes and the dolls are beautifully made. You can find them from time to time on ebay usually for significantly less than AG dolls. They differ from the AG dolls in that they have a vinyl chestplate, which means they look better in lower cut dresses. They also have beautiful coloring. I think the face mold definitely makes them look older. I've seen these dolls go for as little as $20.00 and rarely for more than $40.00.
Heidi Ott did a series of dolls called Faithful Friends marketed through Target (now retired). They're the same size as AGs and come in two face molds. Their bodies are somewhat different and they can't wear AG shoes but most clothes do fit. Ott also did very similar dolls under other brand names. You can find them under "Ott" on ebay usually for $30.00-$50.00, with most on the lower side.
I'd also recommend the Life of Faith dolls, same size as AG's and often available on ebay at a discount that makes them a little less expensive than AG. But as pretty as they are, I think they tend to look as young or even younger than the AGs.
-
May 15th, 2006, 07:20 PM
#5
Inactive Member
The Our Generation dolls at Target are more grown-up looking, but I think they're REALLY ugly! (Sorry, OG fans!)
I like the Springfield dolls' (at Michael's) faces better, but they look about as young as AG. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]
-
May 15th, 2006, 08:01 PM
#6
Inactive Member
I would recommend taking a look at Maria's doll comparison site to see the various dolls that are "like" AGs... I have most of the AG-clones and wannabes, although a number of them have been rebodied.
I just did a quick check against Maria's site and I have at least one doll from each of the following lines (more than one from several):
</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">American Girl</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Apple Valley - 18" dolls</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Avonlea - Maplelea Girls</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Battat - Collectors Lane</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Battat - Our Generation</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Berenguer - Classmates</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Brass Key - Liberty Landing</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cathay Collection</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Corolle</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Engel-Puppen</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Gotz - Little Sisters</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Gotz - Stolle</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Gotz - Precious Day</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Heidi Ott - Faithful Friends</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Kingstate - Friendship Dolls</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Learning Curve - Madeline</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lissi</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Mattel - Chatty Cathy</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Meritus - Girls on the Go</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Playhouse - 18" doll kit</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Springfield</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Tolly Tots</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Zapf</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I really need to put together an accurate count by manufacturer/line...
Taffy
<font color="#33CCCC"><font size="1">[ May 15, 2006 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Taffy Cheerful ]</font></font>
<font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ May 15, 2006 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Taffy Cheerful ]</font>
-
May 16th, 2006, 02:40 AM
#7
Inactive Member
I really reccomend the Heidi Ott Faithful friends dolls. I love mine, except that I'm not a fan of the body.
Also, the springfield dolls are real cheap, but I'm not sure on the quality (though I think that in recent years, it's gotten better) and they're naked.
I'm thinking of getting a springfield doll either as just another doll or to trade bodies with Clara. I can report when that happens, but right now I'm looking for a job so I can afford things like that.
-
May 16th, 2006, 10:57 AM
#8
Inactive Member
If you're looking for adult members of the family, try the My Twinn dolls, though they're even *more* expensive than AG! (You might be able to find one at a bargain, though.) Have fun!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks